jueves, 15 de octubre de 2009

'Vampire Diaries' star: People are gonna die!

If you have yet to be bitten by the vampire bug, prepared to be glamoured. Despite the opportune timing of "The Vampire Diaries" -- premiering after "True Blood" and in between "Twilight" installments -- The CW's new drama shouldn't be compared to its bloodsucking competition, says star Zach Roerig.

Zach, who you may recognize as rowdy cowboy Cash from "Friday Night Lights," plays all-American football star Matt Donovan. But unlike many other B.M.O.C's, his ex-girlfriend isn't spending late nights pining over him. In fact, Elena's already falling for the new "kid" in town, Stefan, a 150-year-old vampire who who has yet to reveal his identity.

PopWrap caught up with Zach to talk about vampires and why no human will be safe from the supernatural in "VD's" Mystic Falls -- not even "nice guy" Matt.

PopWrap: Had you read "The Vampire Diaries" books before coming on the show?
Zach: I was always a fan of vampires, but I hadn't read the books. Fortunately, though, I have a little sister and a bunch of girl cousins that had read the books, so they pretty much filled me in when I first got the audition.

PopWrap: What was it about Matt that attracted you to the role?
Zach: Well, on "Friday Night Lights," Cash started out as kind of a nice guy but then turned out to be, you know, not a nice guy. And other characters I've played have always in the end just been kinda walking on the wrong side of the line. Matt was a chance to just really play a nice guy. I just wanted to get a chance to show that.

PW: He's nice now, but will he stay nice if/when he discovers that his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend is a vampire?
Zach: You know, I think as soon as Matt figures out that they're vampires, something's gonna happen. He's a pretty level-headed guy, but he's also the hero so, you know, who knows. Who knows what he'll do.

PW: Will Elena be the only one to know the truth about the Salvatore brothers - Stefan and brother Damon - or will everyone catch on that they are vampires?
Zach: I'm not really sure. I don't know who's going to figure it out first. At first, I thought [Matt] was going to be one of the first to figure it out. So that's got me "dot dot dotting" too.

PW: Any chance Matt and Elena will get back together?
Zach: I think there's definitely a chance. They were each other's first for, pretty much everything -- [they're] best friends. That's why I think it's hard for him not to talk to her. She's so familiar to him. And I think that's part of the reason he's kinda hanging on the way that he is. Just because, you know, he doesn't want change, but I definitely think there's a possibility she could come back to him. First of all, if she figures it out first, how's she going to react, you know, to dating a vampire?

PW: If it came down to a head-to-head, could Matt take Stefan?
Zach: Well... Stefan's a vampire so, no. I think he'd try as hard as he could and probably keep trying until Stefan killed him. But I don't want that to happen, because that means Matt will die (laughs).

PW: Between the possibility of having to protect Elena and then Matt's little sister Vicki, who's always getting herself into trouble, is Matt's role to play the hero?
Zach: I think he's one of a couple heroes, yeah. Stefan's definitely trying to be a hero. He's trying to make amends for whatever wrongs he may have made in his past... There's vampires and there's bound to be other specials powers and I think Matt's the one beacon of just like real, honest, good-hearted. He's just got a pure heart. He doesn't have any special powers, he's just a good guy tryin' to do the right thing.

PW: Are you a fan of "Twilight" and/or "True Blood?"
Zach: I like "True Blood." I'll watch "True Blood."

PW: What makes "Vampire Diaries" different?
Zach: What makes us different from "Twilight" is that more back story is able to be explained because we come back week after week. But I can't really say, "We're like 'True Blood,' but we're more for a teen genre," because were not - the demographics have shown that adults are watching the show too.

PW: All three have their own vampire rules. Are yours the best?
Zach: It's definitely a work in progress, but I think it's a work in progress toward us carving out our own niche. I don't think were "fitting in" in any comparison, we're just kinda creating something new. Which is really, really awesome to be a part of.

W: Can you tell us what we're in store for on the rest of the season?
Zach: I can tell you that people are gonna die (laughs).

PW:: The CW ordered nine more scripts, which is making fans think "VD" will get a full season pickup. I'm sure you are all excited about that.
Zach: Yeah, I would be more than thrilled if we get the full order. Shoot, I'm hoping for season 2.

PW: If Matt could become a supernatural creature in season 2, do you know what you would want him to be?
Zach: Not really, at this point. I'm still trying to figure out what I would like to be because... Mystic Falls, it's an old town with a lot of history. Like a history where any kind of myth can become real. So I think that eventually everyone's gonna kind of discover some little secret power in themselves. The show's already taking us back and we're learning about Mystic Falls and as that happens, I think I might be able to figure out more of what powers Matt might have.

PW: Will Elena always be Matt's love interest?
Zach: He's always gonna love her and he's gonna try to still be with her, but it is TV, so, I would expect Matt to definitely end up with someone at some point. I mean, I hope so. Just because, you know, it's fun.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario